View an Adobe pdf version of the Citizen Review Panel Confidentiality Agreement
The 1996 amendment to the Child Abuse Prevention and Treatment Act (CAPTA) requires states that receive funding for the Child Abuse and Neglect State Grants Program establish Citizen Review Panels. Under federal statue, each Citizen Review Panel is required to review the compliance of state and local child protective services (CPS) agencies in the discharge of their responsibilities with respect to the following:
- The state CAPTA Plan;
- Coordination with the Title IV-E foster care and adoption programs;
- Review of child fatalities and near fatalities;
- Other criteria the panel considers important.
In the discharge of these duties individual panel members are required to maintain confidentiality as described in the following section of the law:
Section 106(c)(4)(B) CONFIDENTIALITY -
- IN GENERAL. : The members and staff of a panel established under paragraph (1)-
- shall not disclose to any person or government official any identifying information about any specific child protection case with respect to which the panel is providing information; and
- shall not make public other information unless authorized by State statute.
I, (insert name here), as a member of the (insert name here) Citizens Review Panel, pledge to maintain confidentiality as required by federal statute.