Children's Joint Task
Children’s Justice and
Child Sexual Abuse 2015 Child Sex Abuse Plan
View an Adobe pdf version of the 2015 Tennessee Child Sexual Abuse
Child Abuse in America…more than 3.3 million
reports of child abuse are made every year in the United States.
It is a tragedy when more than one fourth of America’s children come to the
attention of the child protection system. While 3.3 million reports of child
abuse are made every year in the United States, experts believe that the
actual number of incidents of abuse and neglect is three times greater than
reported. Below are some key facts and startling statistics about child abuse
- Four children die every day as a result of child abuse and three out of
four of these victims are under the age of 4. These children are the
most vulnerable, with infants representing the largest proportion of
- A child is abused or neglected every 35 seconds.
- Of the reported rapes of children under 12 years old, 90.0% of the
victims knew the perpetrator.
- More than three quarters (79.9%) of perpetrators of child
maltreatment were parents.
- Of the children substantiated as abuse and neglected, only 60.4%
received follow-up services in 2005.
- Child abuse occurs at every socio-economic level, across ethnic and
cultural lines, within all religions, and at all levels of education.
- 36.7% of all women in prison and 14.4% of all men in prison in the
United States were abused as children.
- Children who have been sexually abused are 2.5 times more likely to
abuse alcohol and 3.8 times more likely to become addicted to drugs.
- One third of abused and neglected children will later abuse their own
children, continuing the horrible cycle of abuse.
- An estimated 30%–60% of child abuse occurs where there is some
form of domestic violence and substance abuse.